This Way Up 16 is nearly here! Taking place 29 & 30 November at Glasgow Film Theatre, the two-day Cinema exhibition innovation conference will welcome UK and European delegates to a thought-provoking programme packed with over 20 workshops, panel discussions and keynotes.
Inspiring Keynote Speakers – Mubi’s Bobby Allen, Johanna Koljonen, Editor of the Nostradamus Project, and Dawn Walton, Artistic Director of Eclipse Theatre (the UK’s principal Black-led national touring company) – will be joined by Gillian Easson, co-founder of Creative Dundee, as conference MC. To close the conference, the BFI’s Amanda Neville will expand on BFI’s 2017 – 2022 strategy in person.
Other highlights include:
- Oscar-winning US filmmaker Roger Ross Williams – whose latest documentary Life, Animated is released on 9 December – in conversation with BBC Radio Scotland’s Janice Forsyth.
- From 70mm celebrations to VHS retro-fests, is format the ‘sizzle’ to the film’s ‘steak’? Kathryn Penny from Bradford Media Museum finds out in The Medium and the Message.
- What are the opportunities and challenges of too much choice in film content? Following on from Bobby Allen’s keynote speech, Wendy Mitchell of the British Council leads an exploration into The Problem with Abundance with Ben Luxford, Bobby Allen & Jason Wood.
- Leading industry data-research Stephen Follows will take you on a journey through Big Screen Data. In this session he’ll show you data-driven ways of understanding the film industry, and how you can use data to help your film business.
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality are being adopted at an accelerating rate, however the experience is often personal and contained. Screen International’s Tom Grater asks: Is there a place for the new personal ‘realities’ in the communal experience?
- Evening entertainment: acclaimed jazz duo Herschel 36, present their five-star-rated electronica/acoustic score for ground-breaking silent documentary, Wunder der Schopfung.
Browse the full programme, find travel and accommodation info and BOOK YOUR DELEGATE PASS now at thiswayupconference.com.